Thursday, May 22, 2014

2014 - 2015 Preschool Themes

School year 2013-2014 has yet to come to an end that I've already started planning for school year 2014-2015. I simply couldn't help myself: I love planning and the ideas were flowing. For example, I've already come up with a brand new batch of themes to explore for my 3 year old preschooler. I've also created various assessment forms (aka progress report) for my use every week to evaluate how my little one is progressing within the Montessori program (though we truly are not exclusively following this educational approach I must say) and I am now working on a new daily schedule, lunch menus and so forth.

Preschool Themes 

For now, what I'd like to share with you is the new list of units I've assembled for the upcoming school year. You'll find some "classic/traditional" thematics  (bugs, weather, transportation) but also a few more personalized  ones.  The beauty of picking out themes for one child is that you can truly base these on that child's interest. I'm not saying that I exclusively chose topics that my daughter will adore but I consciously included a lot of themes that I know she'll be motivated to explore.  Of course, a few of our units are not going to be exactly Montessori-friendly this year but as I said, I'm not a hardcore Montessorian so I allowed myself this "parenthesis" for a few units (fairies, princesses).

2014-2015 Preschool Themes

AUGUST
(School is due to start on August 25 2014)
Down by the Seashore

SEPTEMBER
Woodland Fairies
On The Go (Transportation)
Fashion Week
Autumn Fun
Kitty Cats & Their Wilder Counterparts

OCTOBER
Firefighters are Community Helpers
In the Kitchen
Cuddly Teddy (Teddy Bears)
Halloween

NOVEMBER
Build it Up (Blocks)
Life's a Zoo
The Princess in Me
Thanksgiving

DECEMBER
(Winter Break shall start December 19, 2014)
Up in the Sky (Solar System)
It's a Birthday Party
Christmas

JANUARY
Winter Wonderland
In the Wintry Woods
Lollies, Gummies and Other Candies
Pups & Dogs

FEBRUARY
Chinese New Year: Baa to You!
Valentine's Day
Mardi Gras / Carnaval
Inventions & Imagination

MARCH
Construction Zone
Training Camp (Sports)
St. Patrick's Day
It's Raining, it's Pouring (Weather)
Easter

APRIL
(Spring Break shall be held the week of April 6, 2015)
Spring's In
Earth Day
On the Farm

MAY
By the Pond
At the Fair
Don't "Bug" Me (Bugs)
Amazing Plants

JUNE
(School is out on June 12, 2015)
Teatime and Sweets are my Favorites
Deep in the Ocean

Needless to say, needs and interests are subject to change and so are these weekly themes. Family visits and health crises also tend to squeeze in and may cancel/shorten up some days/weeks but overall, this is what should be found on our shelves this upcoming school year...What's going to be on yours?


* * *

Never Miss the Latest Post:
Follow Sorting Sprinkles on Facebook or
Sign Up for Post Delivery Directly to Your Inbox!

* * *

This post is currently linked up to these great blogs and websites:




6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun year! So far we are doing apples, farm life, and weather here.... Momma is just starting to get her head wrapped around it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing what some of your themes will be. I'm always curious to see what other families are planning! :) I guess we'll have some units in common, huh? :) Still plenty of time to plan what to put in these units too! Very excited.

      Delete
  2. Love it! So many fantastic activities! I actually realised that even though we will be continuing through the summer with tot school, I really should get more organised and plan things for the next school year even though it's not *really* school.

    Thanks so much for the push I needed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) Tot school is so much fun. Ah...my babies are getting old now! :( So many great themes for them and concepts to learn. You'll have a fun time planning for sure. One of my favorite things is planning. Gets me excited for what's coming up! :) Good luck to you!

      Delete
  3. What great themes! It looks like a wonderful year of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully. We're having some changes so we'll try to stick to the plan but it may change a bit. Hopefully not! :) Thanks for taking the time to comment by the way!

      Delete